Cook - Part Time
"It’s lovely to make people smile. It makes my day.”
- Great benefits package
- Work in a friendly team environment
- Build relationships with our residents
- Great job satisfaction
Here at Whinnieknowe in Nairn, we don’t just see those we work with as older people. They’re someone’s mum. Someone’s dad. Someone’s grandparent. For us, providing the best quality of care is hugely rewarding and our goal is to ensure that every one of our residents enjoys the best possible quality of life. Of course, making sure that they also enjoy tasty and nutritious food is right at the heart of that, which is why this rewarding role is so important.
Don’t think for a moment that you’ll spend all of your time in the kitchen though. You’ll talk to our residents, to find out what they like and to make sure they’re happy with their meals, as well as to relatives and the rest of the team here.
That’s why we used the word ‘rewarding’ earlier. Just hearing someone say “I really liked that soup” with a big smile on their face can make a huge difference to your day.
As well as cooking everything from scratch, you’ll order and check deliveries, update menus and generally keep paperwork up-to-date. So you will need to be well organised and able to manage your own time. We’re also looking for experience of CookSafe and preferably an Intermediate Food Hygiene Certificate.
Salary is pro rata of 38.5 hours per week.
To prepare and serve nutritionally balanced and attractively presented meals and snacks to reflect the individual needs and requests of the service user ensuring a high standard of hygiene and safety in the catering area and promoting service user participation in the life of the home.
1. To plan the menus subject to agreement with the Unit Manager, in order to provide varied and interesting meals and snacks for service users and staff.
2. To cater, where necessary, for any special diets, consulting with service users on their preferences and providing a choice of menu.
3. To incorporate and make the best use of fresh vegetables and fruit in the diet of service user.
4. To maintain a check and control of food stocks and be responsible for the ordering of stores stock.
5. To prepare, cook and serve meals to clear and wash up with the assistance of other staff, where appropriate.
6. To prepare “home baking” to reflect the service users wishes.
7. In agreement and consultation with the care staff, encourage therapeutic participation by service users in food preparation in line with Health and Safety guidelines.
8. To comply with Health and Safety requirements in the kitchen and other catering areas.
9. To ensure all aspects of current health and hygiene legislation are adhered to.
10. To be responsible to the Unit Manager for budgetary control.
11. To be involved in the life of the Unit and cater for special occasions such as parties and seasonal events.
12. To supervise and help train other catering staff in catering duties.
13. To participate in staff meetings and in training activities as and when required.
14. To undertake any other duties as may reasonably befall within the parameters of the post as requested by the Unit Manager or appropriate Team Leader.
Elementary Food Handling Certificate – training will be given if required to achieve award.
Have respect for all aspects of Christian worship.
You will be required to participate in the organisations appraisal system.
This post requires you to either complete a Disclosure or be a member of the Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme and undertake the necessary vetting checks.
Skills and Abilities
Previous catering experience.
Working knowledge of Health & Safety current legislative requirements.
The postholder must possess basic computer literacy skills including use of Microsoft Office and the internet for completing mandatory e-learning courses.Apply for this position