Cook - Part Time
Are you looking for a rewarding career that gives you flexibility and a real sense of a job well done. Working within a supportive team, improving the lives of older people could be for you?
Working for CrossReach can provide opportunities for training, personal development and career progression. Our welcoming team will support you to achieve an Intermediate Food Hygiene Certificate and open the door to other development opportunities.
We all have something in common, that is we will all grow older. In CrossReach we want to ensure that those who need a service are surrounded by people who want to care and can help to bring a smile to someone brightening their day, improving their quality of life.
This work can be challenging as well as fulfilling. As an organisation your wellbeing is important to us. We have a benefits package which includes a generous pension.
Salary is pro rata of 38.5 hours per week and is plus Shetland Island Allowance.
To prepare and serve nutritionally balanced and attractively presented meals and snacks to reflect the individual needs and requests of the service user ensuring a high standard of hygiene and safety in the catering area and promoting service user participation in the life of the home.
1. To plan the menus subject to agreement with the Unit Manager, in order to provide varied and interesting meals and snacks for service users and staff.
2. To cater, where necessary, for any special diets, consulting with service users on their preferences and providing a choice of menu.
3. To incorporate and make the best use of fresh vegetables and fruit in the diet of service user.
4. To maintain a check and control of food stocks and be responsible for the ordering of stores stock.
5. To prepare, cook and serve meals to clear and wash up with the assistance of other staff, where appropriate.
6. To prepare “home baking” to reflect the service users wishes.
7. In agreement and consultation with the care staff, encourage therapeutic participation by service users in food preparation in line with Health and Safety guidelines.
8. To comply with Health and Safety requirements in the kitchen and other catering areas.
9. To ensure all aspects of current health and hygiene legislation are adhered to.
10. To be responsible to the Unit Manager for budgetary control.
11. To be involved in the life of the Unit and cater for special occasions such as parties and seasonal events.
12. To supervise and help train other catering staff in catering duties.
13. To participate in staff meetings and in training activities as and when required.
14. To undertake any other duties as may reasonably befall within the parameters of the post as requested by the Unit Manager or appropriate Team Leader.
Elementary Food Handling Certificate – training will be given if required to achieve award.
Have respect for all aspects of Christian worship.
You will be required to participate in the organisations appraisal system.
This post requires you to either complete a Disclosure or be a member of the Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme and undertake the necessary vetting checks.
Skills and Abilities
Previous catering experience.
Working knowledge of Health & Safety current legislative requirements.
The postholder must possess basic computer literacy skills including use of Microsoft Office and the internet for completing mandatory e-learning courses.Apply for this position