Crèche Manager - Edinburgh Area - Part Time
CrossReach Perinantal Services offer perinatal counselling and therapy to families and new and expectant parents. We offer support to those experiencing anxiety, depression, low self esteem or any other negative feelings before or after having a baby plus the offer of the use of a free crèche where they can safely leave children of any age for up to two hours while attending their appointment.
As a Crèche Manager, you will be responsible for the provision and management of safe and creative crèches for babies and toddlers across various sites in Edinburgh and East Lothian, ensuring they are achieving the highest professional standards of social care practice and meeting regulatory requirements.
This role requires you to be registered with a professional body for example, SSSC or GTC and be qualified at SCQF level 9 or above in childhood practice. You will also need three years of post-qualification practical experience of which at least two years have involved managing and supervising staff. It will be beneficial to have experience of working with parents and children in crisis and being able to work across a multi-disciplinary team plus a thorough understanding of the Curriculum for Excellence and Birth to Three Curriculum.
Salary is pro rata of 38.5 hours per week.
To be responsible for the provision and management of safe and creative crèches for babies and toddlers whose parents are attending CrossReach counselling services across various sites in Edinburgh and East Lothian, ensuring they are achieving the highest professional standards of social care practice and meeting regulatory requirements.
To provide support and supervision to crèche workers.
- Children and adults using the service experience a high quality of care appropriate to their needs.
- Children using the service are engaged in entertaining and educational play through a variety of activities reflective of their assessed needs and designed to help them fulfil their full potential.
- Appropriately qualified and skilled senior crèche staff and volunteers are recruited for each crèche site.
- Staff and volunteers understand perinatal mood disorders and attachment theory and are able to make links between practice, theory and policy guidance.
- Crèche staff and volunteers are motivated and feel supported to carry out their role in a confident and sensitive way and regularly reflect on their practice.
- Parents feel comfortable leaving their child in the crèche and their needs and anxieties are understood and responded to sensitively by crèche staff.
- Ensure there is a nurturing ethos, and a strive for excellence, within a welcoming and friendly environment.
- Ensure regulatory requirements are met and policies and procedures in relation to Health and Safety, and Child Protection are in place and upheld at all times.
- Ensure there are appropriate feedback procedures of relevant information which are passed to parents/carers and management in relation to the child’s welfare and development.
- Consistent evaluation methods are used, across all of CrossReach crèche provision in Scotland, to assess infant emotional development and wellbeing in accordance with GIRFEC guidelines.
- Collaborative, supportive relationships are in place with Crossreach colleagues and with partners in health and social care teams.
You will be responsible and accountable for all aspects of crèche provision and for achieving the key outcomes. An internal audit will verify that the mandatory aspects of the job are being carried out.
You will seek to maintain the standards of the code of ethics and policies and procedures of CrossReach, including confidentiality, Health & Safety, etc.
You will undertake meetings, training courses and seminars as required to ensure continuous professional development.
You will work to the Care Inspectorate policy on peripatetic management, allocating sufficient time to each crèche to ensure effective management and leadership is in place. You will work to relevant legislation and have the ability to develop policies/procedures consistent with legislation, best practice and regulatory expectations.
You will maintain an up to date working knowledge of procedures relating to Child Protection, GIRFEC, Additional Support Needs, Equal Opportunities and Child Development.
Reflect Christian love from own Christian experience.
Uphold and reflect behaviours consistent with the Christian Faith and the CrossReach values.
Lead daily Christian worship in accordance with CrossReach daily guidelines.
Provide Christian support to service users & staff if requested.
Open staff meetings and changeovers with set prayer and bible reading.
Explain the Christian faith to those who ask.
The Crèche Manager will be registered with a professional body for example, SSSC or GTC and should have:
- A qualification at SCQF level 9 or above in childhood practice.
You are required to have a Christian faith and be able to work within and uphold our Christian Ethos. (This is a requirement under the Equality Act 2010.)
The post holder is required to be a member of the Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme and undertake the necessary vetting checks.
Skills and Abilities
- Have three years of post-qualification practical experience of which at least two years have involved managing and supervising staff.
- Experience of working with very young children, and have a mature and sensitive approach.
- Excellent knowledge of the Curriculum for Excellence and Birth to Three Curriculum.
- Knowledge and experience of Care Inspectorate Inspections.
- Experience of working with parents and children in crisis, and being able to work across a multi-disciplinary team would be an advantage.
- Experience of leading meetings and delivering training.
- Highly effective communication and leadership skills.
- Ability to work flexibly and adapt to change.
- A full driving licence.
- Possess basic computer literacy skills including use of Microsoft Office and the internet.