Relief Visitor Centre Worker -
Here at the Perth Prison Visitors Centre in Perth our goal is to increase self-esteem and help to reduce social isolation by supporting families to maintain communication.
As a Relief Visitor Centre Worker you will be providing a service for prisoner's families which includes working alongside vulnerable children and adults and therefore requires emotional intelligence and mental stamina and resilience. The post will provide our small team with cover for annual leave and sickness absence.
While a qualification in Social Work or Social Care would be desirable, it’s not essential.
You can also look forward to a benefits package that includes an employer contributory pension.
- To build relationships with visitors and, in collaboration with others, to identify areas of unmet need amongst visitors. To work towards outcomes for funders.
- To initiate contact with visitors and offer support and advice as appropriate
- To work with a group of volunteers in providing support and guidance to visitors and to assist in induction, training and organising a rota for volunteers.
- To assist in the liaising with prison staff to ensure the smooth operation of the service.
- To be a signpost for visitors directing to other agencies as appropriate to need.
- To network with outside agencies to secure appropriate points of referral for support on the relevant range of issues arising from contact with visitors.
- To assist in the operation of the Centre ensuring the Centre is open at the specified times and being responsible for staff/volunteer deployment and in the absence of the co-ordinator.
- To assist in reporting maintenance issues to SPS, ensuring the cleanliness of the Centre.
- To oversee the administration required for Theraplay Moments Project which is funded by Children in Need.
- To, in the absence of the Co-ordinator, represent the Centre at relevant external and internal meetings.
- To assist in ensuring the security of the Centre and ensuring that Fire Regulations and Health and Safety Regulations are observed.
- To participate in evaluations of the Service provision, ensuring that the highest standards of care are implemented and achieved.
- To share responsibility for the quality of service delivery, having particular regard to:-
- values of confidentiality, integrity and impartiality which govern the discharge of duties and responsibilities of members of staff
- the worth, rights and responsibilities of the individual
- the promotion of independent choice
- the protection of people who cannot protect themselves
- the promotion of equality of opportunity
- maintaining and improving practice standards
- supporting other staff, volunteers and befrienders
- the achieving of objectives
- responding to visitors’ comments and opinions
The post holder will be expected to undertake other relevant and reasonable duties as required by senior management.
Have respect for all aspects of Christian worship.
Facilitate service users to attend Christian worship (or worship of choice).
Desirable: Qualification in Social Work or Social Care
As we do our work in Christ’s name you must be respectful of our Christian Ethos and be able to work within it.
This post requires you to complete a Basic Disclosure and undertake the necessary vetting checks.
Skills and Abilities
- Possess basic computer literacy skills including use of Microsoft Office and the internet
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience in the social care field
- Ability to work with children to develop their interest in play and to be responsible for the continual development of the play area.
- Experience of working with volunteers
- Ability to work within organisations
- Ability to work alone and on own initiative and in the absence of the co-ordinator
- Sound negotiation and communication skills
- An active commitment to equal opportunities
- Honesty, reliability and commitment
- A willingness to learn new skills
- Knowledge of Health and Safety Regulations
- Experience of work with children
- An understanding of the Prison system
- Local knowledge of resources for families of prisoners
- A calm, considered approach