Senior Counsellor - Part Time - Fixed Term 1 Year Contract Edinburgh Based
“At CrossReach, we make a positive difference to people’s lives.
We’re looking for someone to join our team, someone who values relationships that are supportive and caring, and nurtures the potential in others. Someone who knows what it’s like to be vulnerable and has the strength to allow themselves to be vulnerable too.
Our team members are reliable, dependable and consistent, and open to learning about themselves and others.
We’re a creative and diverse organisation and you’ll fit in if you believe in the value and worth of others, and can bring out the best in them.
Bring your past experiences and let us learn from what you’ve learned.”
CrossReach Perinantal Services offer perinatal counselling and therapy to families and new and expectant parents. We offer support to those experiencing anxiety, depression, low self esteem or any other negative feelings before or after having a baby plus the offer of the use of a free crèche where they can safely leave children of any age for up to two hours while attending their appointment.
As a Senior Counsellor, together with the Service Manager, you will be responsible for maintaining and developing counselling, therapy and support service a oversee the day to day management of the service.
What do I need? A qualification at Diploma level in Counselling/Art Therapy and ideally a qualification in Training and Clinical Supervision. To do this role you will also need to be a strong self motivator and be able to work to a broad remit where priorities can change on a daily basis.
One Year Fixed term contract
Salary is pro rata of 38.5 hours per week.
To assist in maintaining and developing a high quality counselling, therapy and support service under the direction of the Service Manager and to take lead responsibility for key areas.
Together with the service manager oversee the day-to-day management of the service and ensure that Health and Safety and Risk Management procedures are understood and adhered to.
Through Christian leadership, he/she will ensure that these services reflect CrossReach's Christian ethos and mission statement.
- Hold specific responsibilities for the day-to-day operation of the Bluebell service and to hold clinical responsibility in relation to referral assessment and allocation of clients.
- Manage the clinical aspects of the client waiting list and referrals to the service. To take a lead role in assessing new referrals into the service, conducting initial assessments and allocating clients to counselling staff and volunteers, and to hold a small client caseload.
- Contribute to developing policies and procedures and work within the policies procedures and guidelines set down by CrossReach including human resources policies, health and safety guidelines, and child protection guidelines.
- Participate in recruitment, selection, induction and training of a multi-disciplinary team including volunteer counsellors, supervisors, therapists, crèche and fundraising volunteers. Co-ordinate PVG Disclosure applications and act as counter-signatory.
- Provide clinical and management supervision for staff and volunteers as appropriate and liaise with other professionals around safeguarding issues for adults and children.
- To assist in developing expertise and links within the field of infant mental health.
- Contribute to the development & delivery of training and personal growth opportunities for volunteers within the centre.
- Assist the service manager to promote fundraising, publicity, social media and training and education in the area of perinatal mental hearth.
- Together with the service manager, monitor standards required to maintain COSCA Service Recognition and work within the ethical framework laid down by COSCA and BACP/BAAT.
- Liaise with relevant professional, statutory and voluntary organisations as required.
- Any other duties as requested by the Service Manager.
- Reflect Christian love from own Christian experience.
- Uphold and reflect behaviours consistent with the Christian Faith and the CrossReach values.
- Lead daily Christian worship in accordance with CrossReach daily guidelines.
- Provide Christian support to service users and staff if requested.
- Open staff meetings and changeovers with set prayer and bible reading.
- Explain the Christian faith to those who ask.
Essential: Diploma in Counselling/Art Therapy
Desirable: Qualification in Training & Clinical Supervision
The post holder must have the ability to be a strong self motivator and be able to work to a broad remit, where changing priorities can be a daily occurrence.
As we do our work in Christ’s name the job you have applied for requires you to have a Christian faith and be able to work within and uphold our Christian Ethos. This is an Occupational Requirement under Part 1 of Schedule 9 to the Equality Act 2010.
This post requires you to be a member of the Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme and undertake the necessary vetting checks.
Skills and Abilities
- Experience in counselling.
- Experience in clinical supervision.
- Good communication and team working skills.
- Postholder must possess basic computer literacy skills including use of Microsoft Office and the internet.
- Experience in delivering training, and managing staff and volunteers.
- Experience of working with mothers and children, and being able to work across a multi disciplinary team.