Senior Counsellor - Part Time - Temporary
Confidential Conversations is an innovative and exciting social enterprise that provides counselling and wellbeing support through bespoke packages to organisations and workplaces. Confidential Conversations offers a way for organisations to provide confidential and tailored mental health solutions to their employees, students, service users or similar. The bulk of the support offered through this service is short-term counselling, however service packages can also include longer term counselling, clinical supervision and workshop development and delivery.
This is an exciting opportunity to collaborate closely with four additional CrossReach Counselling Services based in the East of Scotland: CrossReach Counselling: Lothians, Sunflower Garden, Simpson House Counselling & Recovery, and Perinatal Service.
As Confidential Conversations' Senior Counsellor you will carry a small client case load (the number of clients can fluctuate in line with fluctuations in demand), will be responsible for overseeing a team of counsellors carrying their own case loads and, depending on your skill set, will also, ideally, be involved in training delivery and clinical supervision. Knowledge and experience working within a short-term counselling framework and/or experience delivering counselling through an employee assistance programme is desirable although not essential. It will be necessary for you to be a strong self-motivator and be able to work to a broad remit where priorities can change on a daily basis.
You must be prepared to work from home, at our Edinburgh city centre premises on Queen Street and occasional travel to our counselling centre in Glasgow. Some evening hours are included in the role.
This is a temporary post for one year.
Salary is pro rata of 38.5 hours per week.
Working within CrossReach Counselling Services, you will work as part of a holistic team to deliver a service that ensures that the needs of our clients are fully met. You will be expected to assist in the development of a high quality counselling, therapy and support service, work to the highest professional standards and ensure that the aims and objectives of CrossReach Counselling Services are met.
You will promote a therapeutic environment and ensure that our services reflect CrossReach's Christian ethos and mission statement.
- Hold specific responsibilities for the day-to-day operation of the service and to hold clinical responsibility in relation to referral assessment and allocation of clients.
- Manage the clinical aspects of the client waiting list and referrals to the service. To take a lead role in assessing new referrals into the service, conducting initial assessments and allocating clients to counselling staff and volunteers, and to hold a small client caseload.
- Contribute to developing policies and procedures and work within the policies procedures and guidelines set down by CrossReach including human resources policies, health and safety guidelines, and child protection guidelines.
- Participate in recruitment, selection, induction and training of a multi-disciplinary team including volunteer counsellors, supervisors, therapists and fundraising volunteers. Co-ordinate PVG Disclosure applications and act as counter-signatory.
- Provide clinical and management supervision for staff and volunteers as appropriate and liaise with other professionals around safeguarding issues for adults and children.
- To assist in developing expertise and links within local area networks.
- Contribute to the development & delivery of training and personal growth opportunities for volunteers within the centre.
- Assist the service manager to promote fundraising, publicity, social media and training and education.
- Together with the service manager, monitor standards required to maintain COSCA Service Recognition and work within the ethical framework laid down by COSCA and BACP/BAAT.
- Liaise with relevant professional, statutory and voluntary organisations as required.
- Any other duties as requested by the Clinical Manager.
- To demonstrate and share Christian love and support including sharing with others the leading of worship in accordance with CrossReach policy and by ensuring all staff meetings are opened with prayer and Bible reading.
- Diploma in Counselling or other relevant qualification e.g. Art Therapy
- PSA registered
- A qualification in CYP Counselling or evidence that you meet the BACP CYP competencies
- A qualification in Clinical Supervision and/or Training
- ACTO approved online counselling qualification or evidence that you meet the BACP online competencies
As we do our work in Christ’s name the job you have applied for requires you to have a Christian faith and be able to work within and uphold our Christian Ethos. This is an Occupational Requirement under Part 1 of Schedule 9 to the Equality Act 2010.
This post requires you to be a member of the Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme and undertake the necessary vetting checks.
Skills and Abilities
- Significant post qualifying practice hours.
- Good communication and team working skills.
- Basic computer literacy skills including use of Microsoft Office and the internet.
- Experience in working with staff and volunteers.
- Experience of being able to work across a multi-disciplinary team.