Sunflower Garden works with children and young people aged 5 to 18 based in Edinburgh who are affected by drug and/or alcohol use within their family. The staff group is multi-disciplinary, with backgrounds in social work, education, health and counselling. At Sunflower Garden, children and young people benefit from having a safe and confidential space where they can explore their emotions, thoughts and feelings whilst developing positive coping strategies. All of our work is aimed to support children in the best way possible.
Interview Dates for Taxi Buddy Roles are: Fridays: 12th ; 19th & 26th November 2021
Induction Dates for Taxi Buddy Roles are: Saturday 22nd & Sunday 23rd January 2022
- Sunflower Garden works with Edinburgh children and young people aged 5-18 who are affected by drug and or alcohol use within their family. Being a volunteer with us will give you the chance to work with a small, friendly team and will enable you to use your skills in a supportive environment. Our Taxi Buddy volunteers escort children to the Sunflower Garden base in our Queen Street counselling service, or to another specified location, and then escort children to a specified location at the end of the group or individual session. The purpose of this is to ensure that the children are safe, secure and relaxed on the way to and from the project, and connecting them with their carers at home.
- Liaise with Sunflower Garden staff to find out the names and addresses of the child you will be supervising
- Work with a local taxi firm contracted by Sunflower Garden to meet the designated children and travel with them to their individual or group session at Sunflower Garden
- Wait for the child to finish their session and accompany them to a specified address and ensure that they are safely handed over to a parent or carer
- Ensure the safety and comfort of the child you are accompanying
- To operate and work within CrossReach Policy and Procedures, including Confidentiality, Data Protection, Health and Safety, and Safeguarding
- To liaise effectively with your colleagues ( e.g. Service Manager and Admin Support)
- To complete mandatory training provided by CrossReach
- The application process involves 2 references (not necessarily from an employer), interview and completion of a self-declaration form and a PVG, both of which must be approved before starting your volunteer role.
- Sunflower garden operates Monday - Friday 9am-5pm. Escorting a child can take place at varying times during our opening hours. We are looking for volunteers who can give 3-4 hours per week to fit in with the sessions.
- Training and Support: You will be offered comprehensive training and induction within the Sunflower Garden project and will be linked with a support person on the staff team
- Expenses: Reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed
- Review: There will be the opportunity for review during the first month of volunteering and at that review both or either party may decide to end the volunteering agreement
- Regular ongoing review continues throughout Volunteering work with Sunflower Garden
Skills and Abilities
- Experience of working with children and young people. Knowledge and/or experience of working with people affected by drugs and alcohol would be desirable
- Ability to work with children and young people effected by family drug and alcohol use, and who may have challenging behaviours
- Patience, good listening skills and the ability to establish and maintain healthy boundaries with children age 5-12
- This role may involve you escorting children to high rise accommodation and may require you to walk a distance / climb stairs with a child