History of Simpson House

History of Simpson House
Sir James Young Simpson lived at Simpson House from 1845 to 1870 and is celebrated for discovering the anaesthetic properties of chloroform and successfully introducing it to general medical use.

The Simpson family gifted the building to the Church of Scotland in 1916. Since then Simpson House has seen many uses including being requisitioned by the army during the Second World War and its use as a training centre for Sunday School teachers in the 1950s.

Artefacts from Simpson House can be found on display at Surgeons Hall, Edinburgh.

Over the years we have had a number of royal visitors to Simpson House including Prince Charles, Princess Diana and recently Princess Anne.