Having a strong commitment to, and a passion for “A Fairer Scotland for Disabled People”, in July 2019 CrossReach opened its Young Adults Day Opportunities Service (Transitions) in Edinburgh.
The Rt Hon Lord Wallace of Tankerness QC (Jim Wallace) visited the Threshold Edinburgh Transition Service Hub today [27.10.2021].
After meeting some of the people who have chosen to receive support from the Threshold Edinburgh Transition Service and members of the staff team, Rt Hon Lord Wallace and Lady Wallace took time to discuss the impact and benefits of the service in a climate where the availability of Disability Day Services is in decline before Lord Wallace talked to camera about his visit (see above).
“…one of the things that really struck me is just how the needs, how the service being provided is so focussed on the needs and the particular needs of an individual. It’s not as if an individual has got to fit into the services there – no! The service is there and is tailored to the person’s need.”
-- Rt Hon Lord Wallace of Tankerness QC (Jim Wallace)
CEO Viv Dickenson commented, “It was fantastic to see the difference the service had made to the young people using it. Hearing from them directly helped emphasise the importance of building trusting relationships which are still the heart of person-centred support.”
"My 18 year old son who has autism, hugged me for the first time in his life, I feel that this is down to the support and interaction he is getting from Threshold.”
-- A parent
The service outcomes include:
- Interactive and inclusive community activities.
- Volunteer opportunities and supported employment.
- Identifying future housing options.
- Crisis intervention to families during the current COVID-19 situation.
- A range of creative and dynamic activities such as swimming, archery, cinema, computer skills and gaming as well as learning about local history and heritage.
- Life skills training and activities such as home-baking, cooking and shopping.
- Partnership working with colleges to offer education opportunities.
More information about CrossReach Learning Disability Services