The Second World War had a profound effect on the work of the Committee putting enormous strain on resources. The Deaconess Hospital was evacuated and requisition to receive war casualties, however after a few months it was decided this action was premature and the hospital returned to normal function albeit under increasing strain as the war wore on. Some of the children’s houses were evacuated and many homes were equipped with air raid shelters. Most services were spared mercifully spared the damage caused by air raids, however on 21st April, 1943, when Broadford House a Home for Working Lads suffered damage by enemy action. Thankfully no residents were hurt but the building was rendered unsafe and alternative accommodation had to be found quickly. Deeford House was acquired for £2,500 and the service users took up residence there in 28th June 1943.
After the war ended new legislation such as the National Assistance Act was introduced expanding the welfare state, bringing greater regulation to social care while also recognizing the value of the services provided by voluntary organisations. The Committee whose name was shortened to the Committee on Social Service took the opportunity to invest in services for the elderly, opening 8 eventide homes in just 3 years between 1947-1950, while 7 new children’s homes were opened between 1945-1957. In 1944 the Committee had been approached by the Scottish Education Department to open an approved school for girls at Tyenpark, the first such establishment run by the Church.
The aftermath of the war also required the Committee to provide services in unexpected areas. Working on behalf of the government ministries such as the Ministry of Labour the Committee operated hostels for displaced European workers employed in coal mines and textile factories, including Bellsburn Hostel, Linlithgow for European Displaced Persons employed in Shale Field and Fenchney Hostel in Fife which provided accommodation for 80 displaced German women working in the textile factories.