Following the major expansion of services during the 1950's, the Committee on Social Service did not slow down in the following decade, and turnover increased from £200,000 to £1000,000. The Committee continued to open new care facilities and develop new service areas. The annual report for 1962 notes:
the Committee “Is about to enter a new chapter in its history. It will in no way supersede the Homes and Hostels already in existence but rather enhance their value and usefulness. The new emphasis will be on rehabilitation through individual and family case-work and in dealing with the problems met in the field, the Homes and Hostels would assume a new significance in helping individuals in need of guidance and direction”.
In December of that year, following cooperation with the Scottish Epilepsy Association the Committee opened to a hostel for young men with epilepsy at Bellhaven Terrace, Glasgow, the first of its kind in Scotland. It was followed by a service for young women which opened at Wolfson House in Edinburgh in 1969.
The Tom Allan Centre originally established as The Rehabilitation Centre was also opened in 1962 to provide psychological, psychiatric and other forms of specialized help and advice. Temporary accommodation would be provided to those only staying for the short term while two hostels would offer longer term accommodation for those seeking longer term treatment. The centre was renamed after the Rev Tom Allan who had been instrumental in its establishment.
In 1963 the Committee on Social Service was combined with the Temperance and Morals Committee and the Women’s Temperance and Morals Committee to form the Social and Moral Welfare Board. Under this new structure the Board continued to broaden the scope of services, opening two new Approved Schools, Geilsland in 1964, followed by Ballikinrain in 1968. In a new departure for the Committee Keith Lodge, a short term respite service for children with learning disabilities was established at Stonehaven in 1966. The home proved to be very popular during holiday periods but due to lack of education facilities for children with learning disabilities in the area there were many vacant places during term time.
The decade closed with the introduction of the Social Work (Scotland) Act 1968 which brought about a major re-organisation of social services, and implementing the main recommendations of the 1964 Kilbrandon Committee. The Act enshrined into law that “It shall be the duty of every local authority to promote social welfare by making available advice, guidance and assistance on such a scale as may be appropriate for their area”. The Church had always worked in cooperation with statutory bodies in the provision of social care and welcomed this important principle.