By the 1930s the work of the Committee on Christian Life and Work was increasingly delegated to its sub committees and the decision was taken to merge it with the Committee on Social Work. The new joint committee was called Committee on Christian Life and Social Work. The Committee expand its services throughout the 1930s continuing to focus on training and rehabilitation homes while expanding services for children and older people. Care homes for the elderly were established at Belmont Castle in 1931 and Balmedie, Aberdeen, 1937, while a children’s home for boys was opened at Levenhall in 1938. A nursery school was also opened at the People’s Palace Mission in 1937 in response to the urgent need in the Cowgate area of Edinburgh.